Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Cloudy

I just spent a few minutes with my head craned back watching the weather work its way around the sky. Cloudy weather is something that is often used as an ominous sign in literature. Hmmm... pathetic fallacy.(Thanks Steve, I will never forget that again.) Funerals in films are often accompanied by rain storms, etc., etc. While watching the clouds this afternoon a thought occured to me: this idea of cloudy, rainy weather being indicative of sadness is, at least in my world, fundamentally untrue. Those clouds swirling above me were so full of life, so full of change. Cloudy weather always imbues me with a restless energy and the question 'what comes next?'. There is no dark shadow hanging over me. Those clouds are moving, changing, and heavy with life. Beautiful.

1 comment:

Becker said...

I have always held that rainy and cloudy weather--the really dismal kind--is the most creative of all weathers. It's the kind of weather that makes you want to stay inside with a warm cup of something to keep off the chill. You could curl up with a good book, on old movie, or even, as I like to, in front of a keyboard. Ah, happiness.