Saturday, October 29, 2005

It's Mine, I Say, It's Mine!

I just finished reading a book about bookplates. You know, the little cards that are affixed to the inside cover of a book to show ownership. Yes, a whole book about them.

It was an absolutely fascinating book. They are tiny pieces of artwork, often commisioned by well-known artists or lovingly designed by relatives, that show so much about the personality, interests and life of the book owner. They're like personal logos. For instance, Albert Einstein's bookplate perfectly illustrated his constant search for scientific knowledge with drawing of a man standing on a mountain top and reaching up into the swirling cosmos above him. Joan Crawford's showed the narcisism and self-confidence that made her a famous actress by replacing the face of the Venus De Milo with her own(arguably her most valuable asset). Some bookplates showed the owner of the book engaging in their favorite leisure activities, some showed their devotion to their work or their art, and still others were mysteriously personal and difficult to interpret(though I'm sure the owner derived great joy from that miniature exposition of self despite the fact that I don't understand it).

I've been giving the matter a bit of thought lately and I haven't a clue what I would want my own bookplate to look like... however, I've started designing one for my younger sister based on a couple of ideas she gave me in a discussion of the subject. Who knows, maybe it could turn into a Christmas gift. Now, if only I were a better artist...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.